Environmental Health Officer

Government of Northwest Territories

The Department of Health and Social Services works under the direction of the Minister and Deputy Minister, in partnership with the Health and Social Services Authorities, to support the health and wellbeing of people across the NWT through planning, development, evaluation and reporting on program and service delivery.

HSS is committed to the development and provision of quality services in such a way as to make the best use of public resources, ensure the sustainability of the system, focus on client safety and best practices and promote positive health and social outcomes. HSS strives to continually improve the health and social service system to ensure best health, best care, and a better future for the people of the NWT.

Job Information

The Environmental Health Officer implements environmental public health programs for drinking water, food service and supply, communicable disease investigation and control, air quality, solid and liquid waste disposal, community and environmental sanitation, recreational water safety, tobacco control, personal services (piercing, branding, tattoos, hair and nail establishments), disaster/emergency preparedness and response, injury prevention, environmental planning and impact analysis, long-range and local environmental contaminants, and control of any conditions likely to become injurious to public health.

Program delivery occurs in settings such as restaurants, child care facilities, rental housing, water treatment plants, waste disposal sites, work camps, tourist facilities, and public and non-public spaces.

Typically attained by:

A Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Health recognized by the Board of Certification, Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors, and two (2) years of direct experience in the delivery of environmental public health programs.

Possession of a valid class 5 NWT driver’s license.

Certification as a Public Health Inspector in Canada is mandatory.

Active membership in good standing with the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors.

Continuous professional education is required to maintain competency and certification as a Public Health Inspector in Canada.

GNWT Inquiries

Inquiries Only:

Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
Tel (867) 767-9154 Extension 14106
Fax (867) 873-0445

Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.